It’s the beginning of the new year and who is frying their eggs anyway? The roast was like that in 2008 and now there are so many more modern, fresher, healthier, and more worthy ways to serve eggs. Roasting actually seems a bit easy now. So if, like us, you really like poached eggs, there really is nothing quite like this egg yolk feel. You know, the feeling when you pierce the yolk and stare in sheer awe when the yellowish goodness slowly pours in and seeps onto your plate. In reality it is perfection personified. You can also choose between poached varieties, Eggs Benedict or the Middle Eastern tomato dish “Shakshuka” or even poached eggs in avocado.
But just when you thought you were ahead of the egg game, Instagram turned things around for 2019 with the latest brunch egg craze, “Cloudy Eggs”. Confused? We also! But they heard we tell you everything you need to know about cooking the perfect, gunshot, shady eggs. These eggs are delicious extra and the perfect way to surprise your guests at your next brunch. They’re the perfect Pinterest-worthy brunch photo, too!
- 4 eggs
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) grated cheese (parmesan or whatever you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) finely chopped fresh chives / herbs
- Simply preheat your oven to 220 ° C.
- Break the eggs and separate the whites and the yolks (it’s easier to separate the eggs when they’re cold)
- Then place the egg whites in a large bowl and place each egg yolk in a small tin or bowl.
- Using an electric mixer or blender, simply beat the white and salt / pepper until stiff peaks form.
- Then you can add the cheese and herbs to taste.
- Take a lined baking sheet and pour the egg white mixture onto the parchment paper in 4 mounds.
- Make a deep well in the center of each egg white pile.
- Bake for 7 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
- Then add each egg yolk to each well.
- Bake for another 3 to 5 minutes or until the yolks are cooked to taste.
- While the cloudy eggs are baking, you can toast a slice of wholemeal bread, half a muffin or a delicious bagel if you wish.
- Then pour your cloudy eggs onto toast or plates and voila, cloudy eggs!
- You can also choose what to accompany or decorate your eggs, from grilled vegetables to a small salad, salsa, dips or guacamole. The possibilities are endless.
So if you’re looking for the perfect brunch dish for the coming weekend, these cloud eggs really have the X-Factor and are a surefire way to impress everyone with your new talents.